Head Groundskeeper, Field Operations Manager for Houston Astros Carolina League Team in Fayetteville, NC
Head Groundskeeper, Field Operations Manager
The city of Fayetteville, NC and Houston Astros have signed an agreement to bring minor league baseball downtown. The Astros’ affiliate, whose name is to be announced, will join the Carolina League.
The Fayetteville Baseball Club is seeking a Head Groundskeeper, Field Operations Manager. This position will be responsible for the care, maintenance, and improvement of the Astros’ playing field at its new ballpark. The position will ensure that the playing fields are maintained to playing standards and recognized as best-in-class in MiLB. The position will be responsible for hiring and supervising part-time grounds staff. This position will be located in Fayetteville, NC.
- Lead all aspects of field maintenance including but, not limited to, mowing, fertilizing, and all associated baseball field and landscape maintenance, including pre-game setup and post-game closure of field. Ensure playing surface and pitching mounds comply with all MiLB regulations.
- Ensure the safe and proper operation of all equipment utilized, maintaining that equipment in safe, clean, operable condition. Maximize the lifetime of all equipment.
- Lead hiring efforts for part-time groundskeeper positions. Review qualifications, interview, and complete hires in coordination with the General Manager and Human Resources.
- Train and supervise groundskeeper staff.
- Coordinate daily, weekly, and long-term job/project assignments and prioritization. Maintain a daily log of field maintenance activities.
- Effectively manage and collaborate all tarp pulls and weather situations for the team.
- Ensure all special events are adequately prepared for and supported.
- Provide input on annual budget needs and coordinate with the GM and Director of Finance any procurement of grounds maintenance supplies.
- Manage inventory of grounds materials. Create and manage tracking systems for material usage
- Create and manage and inspect all Departmental and OSHA safety guidelines and regulations.
- Comply with N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services laws for the application, handling, storing and recordkeeping of pesticides.
- Work with senior management to negotiate contracts and work with vendors companies as necessary for field needs and equipment
- Develop and maintain working relationships with managers, coaches, umpires, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- 4+ years as professional or college baseball head groundskeeper. The preferred candidate will have already proven themselves as a successful leader on the baseball field and in the sports field industry.
- History of successful sod installation work on short timeframes.
- High-school diploma/equivariant required, college degree preferred
- Proven experience working with baseball players, coaches, and baseball administrators on a day-to-day basis
- Major event/revenue event field recovery experience is highly desirable
- 4+ years related experience including solid knowledge of turf maintenance supplies, materials and equipment, and management of a baseball complex/stadium
- Knowledge in the practices and principles related to turf maintenance
- 3+ years of supervisory experience in similar capacity
- Pesticide license in turf/ornamental landscaping; Turf 3L Pesticide license; Knowledge of IPM (Integrated Pest Management)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, strong work ethic, desire to excel, and willingness to learn
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to direct and lead an assigned seasonal grounds staff
- Experience with maintaining Latitude 36 grass is preferred
- Communication Proficiency
- Attention to detail
- Decision Making
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Results Driven
- Teamwork Orientation
- Technical Capacity
This position will oversee the daily operations of Field Operations associates and interns.
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
- Ability to lift/move/carry items weighing up to 60 lbs on a regular basis.
- Ability to lift/move items weighing up to 75 lbs on an occasional basis.
- Ability to use/operate typical grounds keeping hand tools, implements, and power tools on a regular basis, for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in a hands-on position in all weather extremes for extended periods of time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee will be required to carry and move packages up to 75 lbs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Due to the nature of this position, the position requires hours of work and days that include frequent nights, weekends and holiday. This includes attendance at all home baseball games and special events.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Houston Astros MiLB Affiliate
225 Ray Ave Suite 165
Fayetteville, NC 28301
O – 910.339.1989
C – 423.972.3791
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.