||A warm-season species that spreads by rhizomes, and is easily recognized by its characteristic "Y-shaped" seedhead. It exhibits low overall quality because of its light color, coarse texture, and open canopy. Due to its rapid lateral spread via aggressive rhizome production it is primarily used in areas where erosion control and immediate ground cover are the main concern.
||Most commonly found on golf courses, athletic fields, and home lawns. Desirable characteristics include the spreading growth habit, good wear tolerance, and good to high overall quality. Cultivar selection should depend on establishment method desired (seed or vegetative) and maintenance requirements.
||Has been dubbed "the lazy man's grass" due to its minimal maintenance requirements. Although it does not possess the quality of other warm-season grasses like bermudagrass and zoysiagrass, it is very easy to maintain and is most commonly planted on home lawns, utility turf, and roadsides.
||Creeping bentgrass is a cool-season species that spreads by stolons and is able to tolerate very close mowing heights. It is best adapted for use on putting greens all over the state, but can also be grown on fairways and tee boxes in the coolest regions of the mountains. It is not well-suited for home lawns.
|Kentucky Bluegrass / Fine Fescue Mix
||Can be planted in home lawns in the mountain region of North Carolina where excessive shade may be a concern. This mixture combines the rhizomatous growth habit of Kentucky bluegrass with the shade tolerance of fine fescue.
||A cool-season species that spreads by rhizomes. It is best adapted to the mountain region of North Carolina, and its ability to spread from its rhizomatous growth habit makes it ideal for use on athletic fields.
||A warm-season species that spreads by stolons. It has very coarse texture, an open canopy, and is most commonly found in coastal areas due to its preference for warm climates and sandy soils. It is used for home lawns and utility turf, but its lack of cold tolerance restricts its use primarily to the coastal plain.
||The most heat and drought tolerant of any of the cool-season grasses. It performs well in the mountains and piedmont region of North Carolina and can be planted as a monostand or combined with Kentucky bluegrass and/or fine fescue.
|Tall Fescue / Kentucky Bluegrass Mix
||Often planted in home lawns to combine the heat/drought tolerance of tall fescue with the recuperative potential of Kentucky bluegrass. TF/KBG mixtures are typically planted at ratios of 90%TF:10%KBG by weight. This is due to the fact that KBG seeds are much smaller than TF seeds, thus giving a higher number of seeds per lb. In fact, A 90%TF and 10%KBG mixture by weight actually results in a plant population ratio of 1:1. This results in a lawn that is more likely to recover from stresses like disease, heat, and drought.
|Tall Fescue / Kentucky Bluegrass / Fine Fescue Mix
||Combines the heat and drought tolerance of tall fescue with the rhizomatous growth habit of Kentucky bluegrass and the shade tolerance of fine fescue. This mixture typically consists of at least 90%TF by weight with the remaining 10% being comprised of KBG and FF. This is because KBG and FF seed are much smaller than TF seed resulting in more actual seeds per lb. This means you need a higher percentage of TF by weight to achieve the proper plant poplulations in the mixture. Mixtures such as this result in a diverse turfgrass stand that may be more tolerant to summer stresses than any of the grasses planted alone.
||A warm-season species that spreads by rhizomes and stolons. It exhibits high quality when properly maintained and is primarily used on home lawns. Due to its good shade tolerance, it can also be used in areas where excessive shade limits bermudagrass growth.