2018 Sod Producers’ Report for North Carolina
In March 2018, North Carolina State University conducted the fourth annual survey to examine inventory and pricing of North Carolina sod.
- Supply of bermudagrass is better than 2017, with most suppliers saying they have adequate supplies for their expected demand in 2018.
- Supply of zoysiagrass is expected to be better in 2018 compared to 2017, but there still may be some shortages.
- This is the first year that a quarter of the producers predicted they could have shortages of centipedegrass and St. Augustinegrass.
- The two grasses with significant sod price increases in 2018 compared to 2017 were zoysiagrass and Kentucky bluegrass; otherwise prices of sod types are likely to remain similar to last year.
- The supply of tall fescue is projected to be very good in 2018.
- Production acreage has remained consistent or slightly increased over 2017.
- The primary markets for North Carolina sod producers are landscape contractors.
- There was an uptick in sales to golf courses in 2017 compared to previous years.
Read the full report at https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/sod-producers-report-for-north-carolina